18.11.11

Images of Azeroth: 50,000 Words (27/50)



The Hidden Valley of Dun Morogh

There are moments when travelling that even I, the hardened WoW Landscape photographer that I am, get truly stunned by the beauty of the vistas that I find. One such moment happened to me not that long ago as I was exploring the Hidden Valley of Dun Morogh that lies behind Gnomeregan. It was late afternoon and the sunlight on the mountains and shining through the trees really moved me. It's times like these that I know that the developers really care about this world and how it looks, which gives me a nice, warm squishy feeling down in the cockles of my stony, dwarven heart.




Needles


Given the fact that winter has finally arrived where I live, this image is appropriate. It's another image exploring abstraction and motion - although this one is a little easier to figure out what it is. The high-key background and false blue colour that I have imposed upon it make me think of frigid winter temperatures, but also reminds me that there is a great deal of beauty in the winter, if you're willing to look for it. Ironically, this image was taken on a lovely end-of-summer day when the temperature was sitting at about 25C.



Angelya over at Revive and Rejuvenate has come up with another Challenge that I, as a Photographer and self-styled Visual Artist, am very excited about. It's IntPiPoMo, or International Picture Posting Month. As a picture is worth 1,000 words, the goal for this challenge is to post 50 pictures during the month of November. I will be posting 25 Images of Azeroth and 25 photographs or art projects that I have been working on personally (and no baby photos, sorry ladies). As well, I will be posting commentary and context with each image.

Please note that all World of Warcraft screenshots are copyright Blizzard Entertainment. The photographs are copyright Brad Stover and should not be reused without permission..

7 comments:

  1. Very nice. I really need to do more real world photography. There's so much great stuff to get shots of. I need a better camera, while I'm wishing, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the pictures are just plain awesome as always! keep it up please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Tesh: The quality of the camera isn't nearly as important as the quality of the photographer. Good equipment helps, but can only take an image so far. In fact, my first camera was probably the cheapest SLR that it was possible to buy - it didn't even require a battery once I got a hand-held light meter - and I created a lot of great images with that.

    @Thrinetu: Thank you! I'm glad you're enjoying them and thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Ice crystals are great Fannon! And as always I love seeing Alliance area pics - areas I never really see much of :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They just keep coming! Better and better!

    Seriously, if you could take this professionally, you'd be top of the business. *Fannon the video-game photographer*

    - Jamin

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Fannon Oh, I certainly agree with you there, I just wish I had a SLR with fstop controls, focus controls and the ability to hold the shutter open as long as I want via remote (so my hand doesn't shake the thing). I can get a lot out of my little point and click digital by finding good angles and lighting, and my little Photoshop Elements 2.0 can do a lot of post-process work, but some things just need more control. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Tesh: Absolutely, control is key to creating an image rather than just a snapshot. Luckily, digital SLRs are getting quite a bit less expensive lately; I'm planning on picking up a new one myself. It's actually staggering how much they've been improved since I bought mine.

    ReplyDelete